Does sitting at a desk crunching numbers sound rewarding to you? If not, join the masses of young professionals who have decided to head to beauty school. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 663,300 cosmetologists working in the U.S. in 2012, with the industry looking to increase 13% by 2022.
So whether or not you’re ready for a career change or you’re fresh out of college with nothing to do, here are 10 reasons to become a cosmetologist.
- Improve People Skills. If you’re already able to hold a conversation with a complete stranger or you want to improve your communication, being a cosmetologist allows one to be in constant contact with clients in a face-to-face setting.
- Experimentation Opportunities. Being a creative person and working in a rigid office environment doesn’t mesh well. Beauty school can help foster your creativity. Every customer who walks through the door is a new tabula rasa!
- Job Satisfaction. Wait, you can be happy and work at a job simultaneously? Yep! Hair stylists and beauty experts are generally a happier group due to the flexibility and creativeness of their line of work. Attending a beauty school also allows one to meet others in the industry as well.
- Work Stability. There’s nothing like having a secure job for years to come. Cosmetology is one of the fastest-growing industries in the U.S., meaning there are plenty of job opportunities available. The high demand from customers to look gorgeous will ensure you have a job for years to come.
- Express Your Passion. Beauty school is a great way to tell others about how passionate you are about this industry. If you like a dynamic work environment, are driven and have a high work ethic, then chances are it will be easy to stay passionate about this line of work.
- Better Schedule. Don’t be a slave to the 9-5 desk job. Becoming a cosmetologist means that you have the ability to one day open your own salon! Owning your own business allows for flexible scheduling. Some weeks you may work long hours, others you may have more free time. It all depends on client needs.
- Career Advancement. The fashion industry is always changing. Hairstyles and makeup looks are different every year — which means there will be opportunities for you to advance further in your beauty career. Signing up for classes to learn about new products, technologies and techniques will help you stay ahead of the curve.
- Stable Income. Cosmetology is one of those careers where more experience means more ca$h! You’ll never start at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to payment as long as you have the resume and portfolio to back up your claims. Those who are driven can often earn more than $50,000 a year.
- Become a Team Player. You’ll learn quickly in cosmetology school that one can’t be successful on their own in the beauty world. Having a group of fellow cosmetologists helping you (whether in the salon or from a networking situation) throughout your career is key. Being a team player will also foster life-long friendships.
- Work Hard and Play Hard. Jobs don’t have to be boring. Beauty school and the cosmetology industry is fun and rewarding. Being able to track your progress throughout your training is just as fun and the work itself.
Attend a beauty school today and find out the other reasons why becoming a cosmetologist is a great career move.